What is your 14th August Tradition?

by Noc Team on August 8, 2009

August 200914thAugust is just around the corner and CodeWeek is all Green and White.
Tell us, how do you celebrate 14th August, and win our exclusive price. All you have to do is complete the sentence below and post your answer in the comment box.
My 14th August tradition is…….
The best answers will be selected from the comments on the 14th, 2009 and winner will receive confirmation via email. Our first 36 subscribers have already had a chance of acquiring our souvenir. Now it is your turn to subscribe and win. On Independence Day, CodeWeek awaits your participation.

CODEWEEK is proud to announce the winner for “What is your 14th August Tradition?”

The best answer was given by Shahid Javed, and therefore he will be receiving the prize shortly.

{ 21 comments }

Asim Zeeshan August 9, 2009 at 11:58 PM

My 14th August tradition is to be in the company of my elders and all those who migrated from India for Pakistan. We all sit there are listen to how many troubles, hurdles and sacrifices they had to bear for their beloved country. The story does not end here … The interesting part is how the country welcomed them and they started a new life with a new Islamic country.

Huma August 11, 2009 at 3:13 AM

My 14th August tradition is to celebrate freedom and independence in different ways. I enjoy this patriotic pastime by visiting my grandparents and asking them “what challenges did they face while migration? What were their feelings when they stepped in to an Independent State?”
Moreover, I spend this day by watching different programs on Independence Day such as quizzes and documentaries based on Pakistan’s history.
Finally, the most important part is to go for outing with my family to see others how they are rejoicing? This is really a wonderful observation which brings contentment.

Sarah Mahmood August 12, 2009 at 1:44 AM

My tradition is to lit up my roof top with lots of candles and to have a proper flag hoisting ceremony there, on 14th of August, early morning; a small affair arranged and enjoyed by me and my family. I try to go out and enjoy the patriotic feel spread all over. Also, I like to hear old National Songs played again and again on all Pakistani TV Channels on this Glorious Day !
Despite of being criticized so much by the World, Pakistan is still one of the Dearest Gifts I have in my life. I love it and will always do !

Umer Farooq August 12, 2009 at 2:21 AM

My 14th August tradition is to host the flag on the house roof top. Normally a day before, on the eve of 13th August. 14th August we gather and few of the elder family members share stories for 1947 and how the time is gone by till that time and how much things have changed in the process. Also See some independence shows and plays on Tv. And specially the Pakistan songs very much close to the heart.
Things have changed but one thing remains and will remain InshAllah, and that is Pakistan.
Pakistan Zindabad.

Nazar Hussain August 12, 2009 at 3:26 AM

What a good comments already posted above. If you think yourself a lover of 14th August, please do not read further.

Let me try to think what I do on 14th of August. I can’t say any thing uncertain about this day. I do not listen stories of independence because I do not forgot what I listen once, and I have listened all stories in my childhood. I do not lift the flag because I know how to respect the flag of a nation. I do not lit up candles because I have to use them in electricity failure. I do not go on the roads for celebrations, race motorcycle without silencer, and go to parks to make hassle, waste money in shopping and not I arrange wine parties in night.

In my childhood I used to buy Flag Badges and put them on my clothes. But from last decade the only thing I remember for this day is, I work twice then my routine. That’s All Folks.

In the end I will not say Pakistan Zindabad; because I don’t think my self worthy for hollering this slogan. I am trying to become worthy of it from last decade. My God bless me the power and worth to say this in my life.

Sajid August 12, 2009 at 6:25 AM

Well At least on this day we must stop criticizing each other. Please Please Please avoid putting such HARSH comments. Guys we must show some professionalism here. It is a great day in our life so please spend it enjoying rather than being rubbish. And please don’t take it wrong it’s my humble appeal.

Muhammad Nauman Yousaf August 12, 2009 at 6:35 AM

My 14th August tradition is to celebrate the Marriage Anniversary of my Parents. They got married on this historical day.

Sajid August 12, 2009 at 6:38 AM

We are already suffering from lots of problems, we have very limited such opportunities to enjoy. I will just say we MUST spread peace and love every where with simplicity, regarding this day.

Sabeeh Faseeh August 12, 2009 at 7:20 AM

In my prayers on that day, I pray for Pakistan. I pray for it’s prosperity, peace and justice in it’s society . On that day when I play my keyboard, I use to play patriotic songs to enjoy the feelings of patriotism. If any national hero ( hero of 1965 war OR who had participated in Pakistan movement etc) is invited on any TV show, I love to watch that show and to listen him.

Muhammad Furqan Khan August 12, 2009 at 2:37 PM

Independence means feel free to live. Independence Day memorizes us the fantastic history of the creation of Pakistan. I get up early in the morning and listen national anthem which was written by Hafeez Jalandhar that realize the purist and dedicated feelings of those people who wanted to see Pakistan as biggest power of the world. I celebrated this day in a patriotic manner and decorate my house with multi color lights and hoisted the flag on the top floor. Then I go to Minar-e-Pakistan and Allama Iqbal tomb with my family to revive the memory of those people who gave the incredible sacrifices for Pakistan. We arrange the kitting party at our house and invite our relatives and elders describe their own bitter experiences or partition. Then I watch Pakistani channels plays and listen national songs on TV and internet as well.

Khan August 12, 2009 at 4:09 PM

Maybe, Tradition is the wrong word used here !!… Tradition is customs and beliefs, that is passed on from generation to generation. So tradition is not individual, it comes from society and hence it is the collective act of the people of a society or a country.
My “TRADITION” used to be, Decorating my frontyard with “jhandian” and small flags and never cared about taking them off. After few weeks those flags were either pulled/thrown away by children or blocked our drainage system (what a Shame). Then came a time when we figured out a new way of celebration. Hanging out with my friends on motorbike without silencers, teasing the traffic policemen, cutting through the moving cars at a high speed, risking our life and the ones on the road, failing to understand that this day is the DAY which has given us a true identity and most importantly to walk around like a respected human being.
Now When this day comes i stay calm and sad. Firstly, i regret the things i had been doing, Secondly, why we people just talk and don’t Act. I don’t think about history, i think about the future that our history would had never even thought of !!! Those people got what they deserve (good for them) …… We lack the ability to learn from mistakes but we specialize how to make things from bad to worse ….. This is not my Tradition but this my way to condemn our present “Tradition” ……….. Long Live Pakistan !!! (Ameen).

Zeshan August 13, 2009 at 1:15 AM

Hello, I am Zeeshan, and I am 15 years old, all the way from USA. My friends call me Mr.Tech.
independence day 14th August means a day when we had got freedom from not only our brute rulers of india but freedom from want from fulfillment of right needs and from dishumilitation it means we have got our own identity and our own valves.
Every country has its own rituals and rules to follow, some nations celebrate it as a day of prayers, some nations spend this day as a day full of celebrations, and so on But in our country “PAKISTAN” case is some what different we celebrate it as a day full of enjoyment, zeal, pleasure and satisfaction.
On 14th august every one wears white and green dresses, mostly guys wear white shalwar or trousers and green shirt or kameez, and galls wears white shalwar kameez and green dopatas…(nice dressing). Little children wear colorful dresses and make tattoos on their faces and fore-heads.
He enjoy the whole day without any sorrow remembering our great leaders such as Quaid-e-Azam (Mohammad Ali Jinnah). This is the day on which we can say that we are happy with the decisions our elders to who migrated and lost their life just for the sake of their own country just because they wanted to have their own religion and they knew that they can never keep up their religion in India during the region of Hindu Rulers

Salman Raza August 13, 2009 at 1:25 AM

I don’t celebrate the 14th august for the Independence which we never got. We never got the freedom for which Jinnah worked day and night, which Iqbal dreamed for which our elders sacrificed there lives. We got freedom from Britishers but gave our country to Americans who controlled us by the feudal lords present here.

For what i should celebrate this 14th august that every monday when i came from my home town to lahore My parents dont know when they will listen that there son is died in bomb blast.
For what should i celebrate when no national anthem is played in Baluchista 50% of current pakistan.
For what should i celebrate 14th august when we can’t built a single dam and we are moving forward when there will be starvation as we will bot be able to grow food in next 15-20 years
For what should i celebrate 14th august when foreign enemies kills our sisters, chidren and we can’t just feel sorrow for them
For what I should celebrate the 14th august when I dont know when agency people come and took any of my friend and sold them to american for no reason.

But what should I do is I promise on this Independence day that I will try to make my self good and I believe if all of us stop doing bad than we will find solution for all of this.

Sumaira August 13, 2009 at 1:44 AM

Decorating various things relating to Pakistan—the flag, personalities, historical places etc. is surely the best patriotic way to express the true feelings for our country but above of all these things we should realize on our independence day that “What we have done to make Pakistan better? What efforts we did to make it different from other countries? Are we living in peace and comfort zone?”

There should be something inspirational in Pakistanis which changes their vision forever — some words that give them hope – some ideas which get planted in their heads – so that they look for something positive , and try to become a useful citizen and believe that a new and better path awaits them.

The FUTURE is in our own HANDS. So, Let’s collect under the banner of One Pakistan One Nation and show the world that we are ONE!

Shahid August 13, 2009 at 2:24 AM

My 14th August tradition is that I collect Pakistani flags from roads and put them on respectable place. May be its strange but it gives me real joy. Please be a part of this campaign you will feel the difference in your celebrations.

Shahbaz August 13, 2009 at 3:36 AM

a big Part of my prayers on that day for my lovely homeland, i really feel happiness and freedome when i compare to myself with Kashmir, philistine people, those are facing a lot of problems and then thanks to my ALLAH WHO bless us this beautiful land.

I also think on that day, We should need to safe this land from our enemies for our next generations because if we are enjoying our life at here, we also provide this opportunity to the next coming generations and so on.

I really feel very bad if someone fall our flag on earth on that day, we need to respect our flag and always hoisting on the top position.

Some beautiful words from our country name.

P-> Perfect
A->Aimitious
K->Kool
I->Islamic
S->Super
T->Talented
A->Able
N->Nation

PAKISTAN ZINDA BAAD

Muhammad Yasin August 13, 2009 at 4:02 AM

Well, we all celebrate this event in our own way as everyone described but I request you all please
Remember the real spirit of independence. The concept for which our elders offered their blood and gave countless sacrifices and even scarified their beloved lives.
What was that??
A homeland where we can live and spend our lives according to Islam. A homeland where should be rule of justice, honesty.
But now where we have reached?
We have forgotten “Two nation theory” completely and adopted such bad ways those are completely contradiction of our real concept of independence.
I think “Salman Raza’s” comments are sufficient to open our eyes. And I 100% agree to him.
Lets we all promise to act as, our forefather dreamed and start “JEHAD (struggle)” to bring real Independence to our beloved Homeland.
The best way is please make your self “Honest, dutiful, determined and loyal” for our nation and homeland so that we can eradicate all corruptions from our society and can bring real independence.

Khurram Fakhar August 13, 2009 at 9:18 AM

My 14th August tradation is that what so ever busy schedule I have rest of my year, on this specific day I really like to listen the patriotic songs and celebrate the day with my family – especially with my little kids for the past few years.
My sons used to put on the Bands on the heads along with small flags in their hands and used to run in the home. This time I have also decided to put JHANDIAN with my little kids in the home so that they can be trained for the coming years :)

It is always fun to explain your kids about the reality of 14th August and involve them while fixing the flag on the roof top of the house.

We all may have different kind of problems in our lives but nothing can be compared to the Feel of FREEDOM on this specific day. It should give a feel of “BORN FREE” to us.

Happy Independence Day !!!!!!!!!!

Azeem Ahmad August 13, 2009 at 9:29 AM

14th August is our Independence Day and I celebrate this day more than just a tradition. We put our country flag on the top corner of our house. My younger brothers decorate the house with colored papers, paper flags, and ribbons. Every one of us at home put Pakistan flag badges on shirt. We cook some special food for this day to enjoy the most glorious and illustrious day. My mother cook some sweet dish in the breakfast, I think this is just the part of the tradition on this day.
We enjoy patriotic songs and watch dramas and discussions related to the history of Independence Day on TV programs. Above all I visit my friends at their homes just to share some time of happiest moments and just to see how they are celebrating the most important day in the history of our nation. We try our best to do more and more fun and enjoy a lot on this day like a living nation. This is the way we can build our confidence of being a strong and brave nation in the world.

QUAID E AZAM ZINDABAD – PAKISTAN PAINDABAB

Ahmad Hannan August 13, 2009 at 10:58 AM

My 14th August tradition is :

– to Pray that Pakistan should found Green signals in its way of progress.
– to put Pakistani Flag in the air
– and set Pakistani Flag on my chest.
– and Feel Freedom Freeedom and Just Freedom in my PAKISTAN.

Muhammad Asif Hameed August 14, 2009 at 6:46 AM

My 14th August tradition is to visit historical places especially Wahga border with friends, listening patriotic songs and watching TV special TV shows related to independence day …. It feels good to see flags everywhere and kids wearning green dresses. May GOD bless our country….
Pakistan ZINDABAD

Comments on this entry are closed.

{ 1 trackback }