When Army And IT Collide- Assistant Professor Arif Butt, PUCIT

by Noc Team on June 1, 2010

Interviewed by Sara Waqar Khan

Any army personal turned into a teacher.

Have you ever heard this phrase before, or may I ask, have you ever come across an individual who left armed forces for his love of

1. IT
  2. And for the fact that he knew that he can inspire and create true leaders.

A motivator, a mentor and a gold medalist in MSC and MPhil. We have brought a very interesting personality for you this week, who after serving 13 years in armed forces decided to change his track completely in order to join the IT League.  This week we have with us Assistant Professor Arif Butt, from PUCIT.

In our conversation, Professor Arif Butt highlighted his experience of a drastic change which came along his way.  His career in Information and Technology spans around 10 years. Shall we call him Major Saab?

CodeWeek: Your experience of changing from one profession to another?

Arif: This is the field where I received a lot of respect. Because this is my firm belief that respect is earned. It cannot be demanded through force. Direct interaction with students allows teachers to motivate and inspire them. I have spent almost ten years as an IT teacher and I am honored to be a part of PUCIT and especially of being able to encourage young minds. This is where we teachers specialize in making them a better person and an expert in their domain.

Many of my students have moved forward in their professional career and are leading prosperous lives. They are satisfied with their profession and have a desire to learn more. When I look back and realize that how my students (who once sat in front of me) are now successful in their domain, which is when I feel proud of myself and of them as well. Because that is when, the result of my hard work stands right before me.

CodeWeek: What do you think is the greatest threat faced by Pakistan’s IT Industry?

Arif: The greatest threat I believe is the “brain drain”. We have a lot of talent in our country, but in order to sharpen their skills students fly abroad. Unfortunately, only those return who realize that their PhDs are not up to a certain level. Others who do return make every possible measure to go back. Because when once you have seen the world outside, the advancement, the technology, the security then that is where you desire to be.

CodeWeek: There is a major hue and cry from the industry that the resource which comes in during hiring is not up to the mark. What is your take on that?

Arif: The problem with industry is cheap labor. Just for the sake of finding a job our students often end up in companies which require only cheap labor. We need to change the system. Times have changed so should we. This is where the theory of garbage in garbage out fits in. Because it is always true that the training we provide to our children, their development takes place in accordance with that. The way children are brought up today is very different from how they were brought up before.

Only leaders can make true leaders.

Also teachers need to love their profession. As I said, that the effort they put in results in form of a highly professional students. 90% of graduates wish to join the industry for better career opportunities, when compared to education sector. But when they face the opposite they turn towards the education sector in order to earn their bread and butter. They start teaching forcefully, only in order to support themselves and their families. This results in an unsatisfied individual. One who is not satisfied with himself cannot in any way inspire and motivate students.

CodeWeek:  Which particular area or field, which industry is in need of in future, must young students adopt to excel?

Arif: Students should not restrict themselves to specific domains. Because there are great opportunities in every domain. The greatest advantage today is that IT today has now been incorporated into every sector.

We tend to train students on particular tools because this is what the industry demands.  On the other hand, universities have the ability of enhancing their problem solving skills. Thus, it is my firm belief that IT Companies should hire students who have good problem solving skills, because these are the youngsters who can move forward quickly in every possible domain.

We are taking every possible measure to train our students in accordance with the demands of the industry. PUCIT is working very hard and making huge efforts in training its students for their professional career. It is in collaboration with the Industry and thus many seminars have been conducted in this regard on regular basis. The challenge comes in when we have to teach a lot of technicalities in such short span of time. More than half of our final semester students have already been hired by IT companies. From this you can understand the demand of IT as well as the standards that PUCIT is maintaining.

CodeWeek: In your opinion what is Pakistan ITs true value proposition?

Arif: If we want to prosper in the international arena then we need to setup research and development wings. Through this setup a lot of growth and development will take place as the main work shall be done and performed by the students themselves. This involves birth of an idea till it shapes itself into a final product. Funding also becomes an important factor in this respect. The more funds are provided the better research and development activities can be arranged. Also, there is a slow and gradual change in this respect as well. Funds are being provided by the government but then at the same time we need reliable people who should utilize these funds responsibly.

CodeWeek:  What are your personal and professional plans for the next ten years?

Arif: At PUCIT I want to dig out the leader ship traits of our student body and also ensure that they get equipped with the latest technological developments in the field of Computer Science. I wish to see PUCIT as the best IT centre in Pakistan and even in the world. This is one of my dreams and this is what I work for at PUCIT.

Any parting words

Arif: Time is just like money; the less we have it; the more wisely we spend it. So manage time as it is one of the most costly things one has.

{ 42 comments… read them below or add one }

ali imran June 2, 2010 at 12:24 AM

Arif Butt is indeed a Good teacher as well as a very Good human Being.

Ali Imran
mcsf06

Maryum June 2, 2010 at 1:23 AM

Good to see PUCIT teacher here at code week :)
He is indeed one of the finest teachers i’ve come across and a very down to earth human being, always motivating students to give their best.

Many best wishes for future sir :)

Muhammad Aslam Javed June 2, 2010 at 7:12 AM

No doubt, one of the greatest Asset in PUCIT is Arif Butt Sb,. Their guidance has given lots of students a motivational career path to lead a successful life.

Always Pray-full for Arif Butt Sb from the core of my heart.

Kamran Shaukat June 2, 2010 at 10:54 AM

mashAllah nice to see Sir Arif Butt here..

he is mashAllah nice teacher as well as very hard working person…He is one of my Good Teacher by whom i learn a lot…very sincere with his work and job …i wish him alll the best of luck.. i wish him to stay here always in mine institute PUCIT .. and always work for PUCIT
Best Wishes ..

Hassaan Bin Aslam June 2, 2010 at 11:46 PM

Mr. Arif Butt has a very inspiring personality. You will always find him thriving, learning, improving and struggling just like a student. He used to say that a true teacher is one who never stops learning and refining. He has polished and disciplined himself so well that he has become an example before his students. There is no “NO” word in Butt Saab dictionary. Whatever he aims he accomplishes it, and then he puts himself before his students as an example saying, “Look if i can could do that, you can do it too. Never say NO in your life. Say YES, Yes i can do that.”

He is a man with a mission and all our prayers are with him. Best wishes for future sir :)

Hassaan Bin Aslam
BITS07A

Zobia June 3, 2010 at 1:18 AM

It really very nice to see Sir Arif here. No doubt Sir Arif is an excellent teacher with excellent skills to boost up students mental level. Wish you all the best for all your milestones SIR,

Rabia Akhtar June 3, 2010 at 1:31 AM

ummmm ummm Its really hard to find the words which can describe Sir Arif Butt :).
In very simple words, I will must say that He is full of qualities and gud will.

Amin Anwar June 3, 2010 at 1:33 AM

yes…..PUCIT is great institute.n have a Good facility

Kaukab Iqbal Khokhar June 3, 2010 at 1:52 AM

Very good teacher, Infact he is the great leader too…

usman ali June 3, 2010 at 2:33 AM

I hav’t met with him throughout my 4 years degree span but i heard that he is a good and motivational person. And he is a great asset for PUCIT and also i am very inspired by his commitment and sincearty towards PUCIT.

NAILA June 3, 2010 at 6:45 AM

He is the teacher which knows
how students can work ???and students do .
He motivate them.
He is not only teacher ,also nice personality developer.

Waris Shahid June 3, 2010 at 7:59 AM

he is the best teacher of PUCIT
n m very impressed wd his personality

Mobasher June 3, 2010 at 12:56 PM

He’s one of the good teachers that I met in PUCIT during my 2 years stay. Good people should be admired and encouraged but we should try our best to set our own examples in our own way.

Sadaf Iqbal June 3, 2010 at 1:01 PM

He is one of the best teacher in PUCIT… he always motivates his students….
he know how to keep students attentive during lecture…..
he is a very nice personality holder…..
im gald that i am one of his students….

May Allah shower his blessings on him (Ameen).

Muhammad Ishfaque June 4, 2010 at 12:42 AM

That is great . Sir Arif but is looking so great

Ali Murtaza June 4, 2010 at 12:44 PM

“Trust me you can do it!!!” This is the main line which is said by my great teacher many times in class…

Dont know how others like him.. but i know about me.. for me he is really a great teacher…

Muhammad Iftikhar Ali June 5, 2010 at 2:15 AM

Tht’s Grea8 My Favourit Teacher Major Arif Butt the more conceptual and practical. May he live long and May Bless Him in every field of life.

Khalid Babur June 6, 2010 at 5:31 AM

Being a classmate of Major Arif in MSC, during the 2 years session, I was never been able to figure out his purpose of getting enrolled in MSC program. He was already well versed with all of the courses we were being taught.
But after a year or so of completing the Degree program I realized that Maj. Arif was there on a mission. I must say a personal Mission of mentoring the youth, provoking them to work hard to achieve good grades and nevertheless to make them good citizens with high standard of social ethics.
Nowadays, we have very few teachers who really teach social ethics to students along with the bookish courses, Mj. Arif is one of them who can really groom a student from point zero till he/she become a valuable asset for the country.
I wish him best of luck in his mission of enhancing our youth so they can serve their homeland in a better way.

Anjum June 8, 2010 at 6:49 AM

No doubt that he is one of the finest teacher i have ever met. So much punctual and dedicated towards his work.
In our Master program, he teaches us in two semester. His quizzes and assignments were different from other teachers, always insisting students to think.
Before my Master I met him after my Bachelor for some sort of official meeting. I was representing one company name Bilal Carpet Burewala . I left that room saying to my colleague “Yar yeh banda kamal hei. Itna knowledge and dedication bht kam mein daekhi jati hei.”
After a year In my first day at PUCIT in Master program, i was shocked to see that person taking our first class.
Really, hats off to this great man

Stranger June 11, 2010 at 1:11 AM

=======My Best Teacher========
I have many teachers, but Arif Butt Sahib
is my best teacher….I like him very much.

May ALLAH bless & protect our respected teachers
Ameen

Aliya June 16, 2010 at 5:18 AM

Nice to see some words by Major Sahab.
Although, I never had a chance to get enrolled in his class. But being a PUCITian I’m proud of having him in PUCIT.

May you stay blessed Sir G.

Aamir Mushtaq June 28, 2010 at 9:46 AM

he is not my teacher but all teachers are respectfull so hats off to you Sir Arif. Love you guys :)

Muhammad Ali September 18, 2010 at 3:11 PM

Sir Arif Butt is a genuine inspiration. He is extremely competent and teach difficult CS concepts easily.

Aslam Shahid [mitf06] September 24, 2010 at 10:28 AM

A person is known by the company he has….
but i say…
A person is known by the talent he has…
So is Mr.Arif sab. he is known by his talent/knowledge/skills/will power/patience/dedication/passion.

Further, we should respect our teachers and keep such teachers as role model.

Aslam Shahid.
0331-4287108

shahbaz September 25, 2010 at 2:51 PM

I am also Impressed !

He checked my Assembly Language Paper…

Asif September 29, 2010 at 5:44 AM

as I know about Dr. Arif is good. I just meet him once in MS program interview!

Thanks for sharing his words

Ayesha Tariq September 29, 2010 at 12:12 PM

He is a very nice teacher of PUCIT. And his teaching method is very appriciative…….

Shafaqat Azam October 2, 2010 at 12:58 AM

Amazing thoughts and determination may Allah bless him more strength to fulfill his aim to make Pakistan IT industry best in this world.

Syed Inayat Ali Zaidi October 5, 2010 at 11:23 AM

No doubt, he is very humble and very honest teacher in PUCIT. His teaching level is so good but his behavior with students is like a Real Major. He ignores the students who have no interest in this field. I hope he will try to understand all fingers in a hand are not equal.
I know that his name will write in the history of PUCIT in golden words. So, remember me in your prayers because I also remember you in prayers.

Jawad October 12, 2010 at 2:52 PM

I haven’t seen a teacher like him.
What a style he has. Huge knowledge delivered by style.
My bad luck PUCIT gave me only a single chance to be taught by him.
May Allah bless him always.
Ameen

Salman ilyasa October 13, 2010 at 9:40 AM

He is a great teacher.I like him lot.

Imran Ashraf December 9, 2010 at 10:40 AM

An excellent personality coupled with professional excellence.

./Imran

Shaffan Chaudhry December 12, 2010 at 11:15 AM

I have become your big fan SIR……
bitf10a048

Usman (bscsf09) December 12, 2010 at 11:25 AM

Great teacher..
I feel proud to learn him :)

Abd-Ur-Rehman December 12, 2010 at 12:43 PM

i lIke the way, he talk..walk..))

KASHIF December 12, 2010 at 1:56 PM

BEST TEACHER………
AMAZING PERSONALITY………………….
BEST MOTIVATOR…………………..
A TRUE LEADER………………………..
ONLY ONLY ONLY
MAJOR ARIF BUTT

MAY HE LIVE LONG…!

Nusrrat Rathore December 12, 2010 at 2:24 PM

I have served his as a TA for more than a year. And..well…apart from studies…all i want to say is.. he changed my mentality and i dunno how he managed changing my perception of life… I won’t be able to pay off this debt that i owe him…. Allah Tallah should create more of such brillian teachers… but he is much more hounerable as a Human.:) “Salutes”

pucit December 12, 2010 at 3:03 PM

no doubt best teacher i ever come across .
proud to be his student.

Muhammad Atif Agha December 13, 2010 at 7:59 AM

Mr. Arif Butt is one of the best teachers in the world, he is the most honest and sincere with his field, he is special because he works hard to prepare lecture and his lectures are the proof of it. Wherever i am now is, Mr. Arif Butt has some part of it in it. Salam

Ahmed December 13, 2010 at 2:45 PM

good teacher

asif ch December 17, 2010 at 6:13 AM

Arif butt is source of inspiration for all those who had the chance to be his friend , student or companion in any of the field. He is praised and liked every where due to his excellent character traits and honest commitments. I love him the most.

major rashid January 27, 2011 at 2:15 PM

I KNOW MAJOR ARIF BUTT WHEN HE WAS A YOUNG CAPTAIN IN PAKISTAN ARMY. IT SEEMS THAT HE HAS NOT CHANGED A BIT SINCE THEN. I LOVED TO SEE SUCH BIG NUMBER OF FANS HE HAS.

ME AND SIR BUTT SERVED IN THE SAME UNIT IN KASHMIR WHERE HE WAS APPOINTED AS ADJUTANT AND ME AS MEDICAL OFFICER. I OFTEN REMEMBER THOSE GREAT DAYS WE ENJOYED. HE ALWAYS HAD A GREAT INSPIRING PERSONALITY AND TRUE LEADERSHIP QUALITIES.
IT WAS THE MOST BEAUTIFUL PLACE ON EARTH WITH LUSH GREAT MOUNTAINS ALL AROUND AND A BEAUTIFUL NEELUM RIVER IN FRONT OF THE MESS, THIS PLACE IS NIKRUN CLOSE TO THE LINE OF CONTROL IN KASHMIR. NO TOURISTS COULD EVER REACH SUCH A FAR FLUNG AREA

WELL SIR I AM IMPRESSED WITH YOUR ACHIEVEMENTS IN SUCH A SHORT SPAN OF TIME. AND WISH YOU AN EVEN MORE PROSPEROUS LIFE AHEAD