No. I Cannot Fix Your Computer

by Noc Team on January 4, 2011

Consider this: Your neighbors’ kid came running towards you as soon as you land home after a hectic day at office and asked you to ‘fix his computer’. What do you do?

a) Hide in the closet?
b) Go fix his computer?
c) Pull every hair out of your head?

Well this is one of the major dilemmas of being a software engineer. People always think that at college you were taught how to fix computers.

And as this is your job, you are excellent at it. But who knows that you still need someone to install windows on the computer. Sometimes you are unable to differentiate between the black and the white cable, and sometimes between the grey or the blue button. But even then we all know that you can fix the computer.

If such an incident has ever affected you let us know in your comments.

{ 12 comments… read them below or add one }

SamSalman January 5, 2011 at 1:59 AM

AOA,
This is a kind of incident which frequently happens with me. sometimes my personal laptop required some attention and some time home system. but what to do except to fix them up my self :)

Yasir January 5, 2011 at 4:03 AM

I am Doing Software Engineering, and has been in love with Computer and Internet For past 10 Years.

Commonly it is supposed that A software Engineer is Suppose to Develop or to look over a Developmental Process of S/W,But i always Welcomed Anyone Who Came to me Having a “Computer Disease” Weather its S/w or H/W Issue ,i always Welcomed him and Tried my best to Recover,But The Irritating Stage comes when You have the Only Ansewr to Expecting Person that is
” NO,, I cant Fix it ” h ah ah aha ha

Fatima Ali January 5, 2011 at 7:25 AM

Yes I am a BSCS person but I also need someone to fix my PC because I became content writer and SEO.

Atta ur rehman January 5, 2011 at 7:47 AM

Yes a lot of times.
People think that we can remove all viruses from their computer and make their system faster.
And the annoying thing is that you can not refuse to them :(

ahsan January 6, 2011 at 12:41 AM

yeh it happens to every one even with me 2, i have installed ram to my system first time after my BCS. even BSCS graduates dont know how to install printers.

i think there is very much misconception in the society regarding Comptuer science field. there needs to be a proper awareness programm in society.

IMRAN January 6, 2011 at 1:16 AM

Thats not good,
if you call yourself a software engineer you must know how to do these little things, if you don’t know read about it, learn these things or quit your tag…

All the thing is your talent and Interest, if you are in this field by interest then you already know too much to use.
and as I already said if you don’t know it , learn it…

Malik Rizwan January 6, 2011 at 3:26 AM

I strongly agree with Imran. its just all about your interest. Being an IT Analyst and development Manager who has deployed many enterprise level softwares which are being used in US Federal Govt Depts and Law enforcement agencies as well in Banking sector, I would die If someone asks me to fix computer but that doesn’t mean I can not do that.

Hira January 11, 2011 at 5:13 AM

Really true.
Happens a lot with me .
And those moments are really embarrassing sometime :)

Umair January 12, 2011 at 2:52 AM

emmm…

I got another situation when someone called me to fix his computer after reading your article. It was the same day someone had asked also when after few hours I read over your title.

Abdul Haseeb January 13, 2011 at 6:58 AM

Most Of time…

Aliya February 1, 2011 at 8:31 AM

lolzZ….
yeah, happens.

but I agree to an above post (by IMRAN) that ourselves being into this field should atleast make us learn this stuff.
science though, it still aint a rocket science. I’ve learnt many things on my own (been never tought about). this self learning even swallowed a system of mine :( but gave me priceless knowledge.

faizan May 9, 2011 at 4:04 AM

It happens to me every day.As soon as I am home my 12 year old cousin is waiting on the door so that i can fix her ccomputer.My aunts are always calling me to fix the laptop,to turn on the wifi, to install skype,to do google searches and to type school examination papers.As if I dont even have a life.I wrote on my facebook wall that” I am a very busy guy,I work from 9-6 ,then i have to study,pay some money and take your computer to the repair shop,chances are if you spend your hard earned money ,you will not screw your computer again And if you can’t even do google searches or type your paper then you have no right to be in such an exclusive school as a teacher”..I tried changing my number ,but they still track me down.They are driving me crazy.Its not just 1 or 2 people its more than 30 of them and i have to go on family get togethers and there it is,Please fix my computer.they dont even pay for the fuel……………….